An Act of Kindness
An act of kindness can help boost our mood by providing a sense of pride and accomplishment whilst also connecting us to others whether it be a loved one or stranger.
- What is it?
- How does it help?
- How do I do it?
- Acts of Kindness Ideas
- Acts of Kindness for Loved Ones
- Apps that can help
- Useful links
What is it?
An act of kindness can be anything you do with the intention of helping brighten someone else's day. For example you could;
- Make someone a hot drink
- Send a friend a message letting them know all the things you appreciate about them
- ‘Pay it forward’ a random act of kindness where you purchase a hot drink in a cafe and pay for the next person in the queue to have one too
- Make a donation to charity; could be a small amount of money or collecting some items of clothing/toys you don’t use anymore to take to a charity shop
How does it help?
- It has the power to contribute to a happier, more community based society
- It connects us with loved ones
- It can connect us to people we would otherwise not meet/know
- It boosts optimism
- Creates feelings of pride and accomplishment
- It allows feelings of control on parts of life we sometimes miss
How do I do it?
Acts of Kindness Ideas
50 Acts of Kindness
This video gives ideas of 50 different acts of kindness to get you started on how you might practice one. The video includes acts that can be done for loved ones, friends and strangers.
Acts of Kindness for Loved Ones
Try this activity to plan acts for those closest to you e.g friends, family, teachers or colleagues.
Take a piece of paper and write down the names of the people you would like to do a small act of kindness for.
Once you have decided who this may be, start to list ideas of things you would like to do for them. This can be helpful to get ideas flowing for where to start but also as a reminder that small acts of kindness can be practiced whenever/wherever we’d like to so this list can help keep ideas for a future occasion of doing so also.
Apps that can help
BeKind: Acts of Kindness Ideas
BeKind is a free, socal, kindness app that gives simple, daily acts of kindness ideas that anyone can do. It’s a fun way to build a habit of kindness.BeKind: Acts of Kindness Ideas at the Apple app storeBeKind: Acts of Kindness Ideas at the google play store
Random Acts of Kindness Foundation
The mission of The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation is to make kindness the norm™ schools, workplaces, homes & communities. They work toward that goal by creating free content that promotes kindness toward others & teaches important social emotional learning skills.www.randomactsofkindness.org