Try something new
Trying something new can be a huge learning curve. It can take you out of your comfort zone, meet new people or maybe even find a new talent.
What is it?
- Trying something you haven’t tried before or haven’t done for a long time
- The list is endless, have a think about if there is anything you’ve always wanted to try - maybe now is the time
- If you try something and don’t enjoy it, that is fine, you don’t need to do it again. But be pleased with yourself that you have given it a go. If you didn’t enjoy it, why not and what else could you try that you may like more?
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Making a new recipe - perhaps replicate your favourite takeaway meal
- Joining a sports club
- Trying an activity you haven’t done for a while eg riding your bike
- Setting yourself a goal such as going for a walk once a day
- Learning a language
- Reading a different genre of book
- Trying a new art technique eg watercolour painting
- Going to visit a new place
- Volunteering at a local animal shelter
- Signing up for a local club eg a book club
How does it help?
- Give you confidence
- Improve your brain function
- Start a new hobby
- Improve both your mental and physical health
- Meet new people
- Learn new skills
- Help to fill your time
- Have fun
- Creating memories
- Increased creativity
- Learning more about yourself
How do I do it?
- Look at local notice boards in areas such as newsagents, leisure centres, library etc
- Google - search your location and the topic you are interested in
- Explore local social networks for your area eg your town’s Facebook group
- Ask your friends/family for recommendations, ask one of them to come along and give it a go with you
- Think about something you’ve always wanted to try but haven’t got around to yet. Have a think about what barriers have been in place before stopping you giving it a go and try to overcome these
- Lots of things are free such as some online podcasts, YouTube videos, local Park Run (5k runs), duolingo (to learn a new language)
- Speak to your local job centre/careers advisor
Apps that can help
Couch to 5k
NHS Couch to 5K will help you gradually work up towards running 5km in just 9 weeks.Couch to 5k at the Apple app storeCouch to 5k at the google play store
The free, fun, and effective way to learn a language!Duolingo at the Apple app storeDuolingo at the google play store